It's like all anyone sees me as is some sort of...assistant.

by Adam Turner, ASSISTANT EDITOR

If I have to do one more fucking audio pass, I'm seriously gonna shoot someone. It's like all anyone sees me as is some sort of...assistant.

I mean if it's not an audio pass, it's a graphics pass. Or finding some stupid sound effect. Or digitizing a tape.

I've gotta tell you, when I first got here, it was one thing. I was new, this was my first shot at being an assistant editor. I could see why they'd expect me to do this stuff. But I've been here for six months now and my career doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I want to be an editor, not an AE forever!

My editors are real dicks. At first, I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they didn't realize that they were being too demanding. But then I tried to give them the hint. I started sighing loudly, responding sarcastically, and sometimes, not even doing what they asked me to do in the first place. You'd think that would have made it clear that I don't expect to be treated like an assistant!!

But they never stop. Every day, it's some new task. I gotta tell you, if they keep acting like this, I'm not sure if I even want to be associated with editors. I may just skip it and go straight to show running.

No comments: