You have to understand, I'm a lone wolf

by SAMMY BOND, PROMO PRODUCER

RIIIINNNNG!! RIIINNNG!!

Hello?

Oh... It's for you... No, they didn't say who they were... Hey, while you take that call, I'm just going to check how my stocks are doing... Oh, wait, I did that 15 times this morning. I guess I'll just go check hockey stats again...

Yep. Nothing like hockey stats to demand my complete and total attention. Look how my eyes are locked in on the computer screen... I'm off in my own little world, just pretend I'm not even here.

Hmmm...You're looking over at me. I can see you in my peripheral vision... Gee, I hope you don't think it's awkward that I'm sitting five feet away from you while that HR rep tells you that you're fired...

Click. Click.

I sure hope she doesn't go into too much detail... Like mentioning that I personally requested your termination... By the way you just furrowed your brow I can see that you're confused by this. Yeah, I know we've only been working together for four days and you've been a total pro and hit every deadline no problem, but you have to understand... I'm a lone wolf. I can produce and edit all by myself. I'm the complete package... I'm a like a machine. Cool, steely, unemotional...

Except for where it comes to my family. Man, I love my family. And they love hockey too, just like me! See how they're always in hockey shirts and/or at a game in every single picture I have up on the wall? Yeah, I'm really grateful for this comfortable salary so that I can support them and their hockey habit...

Hey, that brings up an interesting question - you didn't need the money this job was bringing in, did you? I mean, you're a young guy... You probably have a nice cushion to fall back on... Some savings? By how deeply your face is flushing I'm guessing that's a no.

Well, even then, you have to admit, it makes sense. I mean, when you think about it, what's more important, you keeping the best paying job you've ever had or me essentially blacklisting you at this company just because I wanna produce and edit myself? Lone wolf remember?

Now you're holding the phone out to me. I won't look up. No, I'm just take it from you and put it back in the cradle. Oops. Caught another glimpse of your face by accident... Wait... Are you holding back tears? You really do look awfully flushed... You can't possibly humiliated and angry right now... I mean, I've never been fired, so I wouldn't know... But jeez... Wait! I know what'll calm you down...

"'Sup?"

See how calmly I said that? I'm showing you how this is no big deal for me. Doesn't the casual way I posed that question make one of the worst days of your life seem just a little brighter?

Why are you still staring at me?! Ah fuck it, if you're not going to be cool about this, I'm going to lunch. Later dude. Oh, and don't leave any of your shit here at the end of the day.

Oh, and you are staying till the end of the day right? I gotta cut out early to take my kid to hockey practice, so, if it's all the same to you - lone wolf with strike tomorrow. Thanks. And best of luck in whatever.

No comments: